Thursday, June 17, 2010

Handmade for Kai's Birthday

Kai's birthday brought out the sewer in me. Earlier in the spring, he and I picked out some fabric to make a messenger style bag just his size. However, it wasn't until last week that I FINALLY made it for him. It's a wonderful little basic messenger bag pattern that can be found at mmmcrafts.


Kai was dancing and swinging his bag out of pure joy so the pictures do not do the bag justice.

I also made him larger and smaller sized bags out of Star Wars fabric to store his action figures and their accouterments. I adapted this pattern so that it would work with toys rather than snacks a la my friend Kate's idea. Norah got some toy bags as well although she isn't as in to them as Kai is. I may take them back to use as to go work bags for my sewing/knitting projects.


Instead of the usual party favors for my kids' birthday parties this year, my mom, Kit and I created bags for the girls out of store bought batik fabric and trinket keepers for the boys. Everyone LOVED the bags and trinket keepers. It made us feel good about making something rather than buying disposable toy items. Plus, the trinket keepers' designs were stenciled on using freezer paper, which is addictive to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment