Thursday, January 21, 2010

Into the Woods - The Snowy, Slushy Woods

For the past two weeks, we've been heading out into the woods with our walking in the woods friends. I love being able to watch the mood of the woods -- how it changes with the seasons, the weather, the time of day even. I feel so peaceful there -- having grown up amongst the trees; this feeling is something I want to pass on to Norah and Kai.

Last week, the snow was still nestled on the crooks and branches of the trees. It was silent. Insulated. Still. Enveloping. The blue sky was peeking out from the clouds.
This week, it was icy in spots, slushy in others, crunchy and rainy. It was still beautiful though.  Norah and I enjoyed looking up into the trees and watching them sway in the wind. Norah noticed some were moving more than others. Excellent.
Kai had fun looking at animal tracks with Kate. He was still talking about the deer and fox tracks he saw later in the day. He even wowed his grandma with the fact that you could see a squirrel's claw mark in the snow. My mom loves facts like these. She and Kai went on to talk about how she always looks for the squirrel tracks around our home, especially now that it is winter, since we have so many furry neighbors. Hopefully, Kai will start looking for them now too!

I'm looking forward to more of these weekly walks and the wonder they hold for me and the kids. And, according to my husband, I just have a better week and am even easier to live with when I get out amongst the trees at least once. I agree. I am so thankful to have these weekly walks with our friends who love the woods as much as we do!

2 comments:

  1. good to see some pics of the kids! It felt wonderful to get outside this past week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have some lovely woods to walk at our house, too... (hint! hint!) Oh, and I can help with learning to preserve stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete