Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mardi Gras & Our Little Queen of Cake

Norah LOVES, LOVES, LOVES cake. Mostly chocolate cupcakes or her Aunt G's amazing birthday cakes. So it got me thinking...

During high school, our French class went all out to celebrate Mardi Gras with yummy French foods...this year I wanted to relive some of the fun. However, since my kids are dairy-free, I had to find a new recipe; King Cakes were originally made with lots of butter, eggs and milk to use them up before the fasting of Lent. Luckily (and tastily, I might add), I found a Vegan version on the blog Cake Maker to the Stars.

Kai, my 3.5 year old, said that he was going to help me with the making of the cake. Instead though, he created me a fabulous meal made out of playdough -- meatball & gucamole spaghetti. Yum! The homemade playdough was supposed to be purple, but instead it turned out an odd shade of bluish purple. He loves it though so that it all that matters...

And now...back to the story...

Next on our list -- to find a group of friends to share it with along with some other tasty treats & libations. Thanks to Linda, Rob, Parker, Dema (who somehow managed to sleep through the whole party), Josie AND Loretta, Dave, Kieran and Teagun who made the party all the more fun and entertaining. Somehow, we ended up WITHOUT a King or Queen. I hid a black bean in the cake, which someone must have eaten since it was so small and mixed in with Vegan cream cheese and cinnamon. Oh well...note to self -- next year use a bigger bean!


This recipe also makes great cinnamon roles -- if you don't put the colored granulated sugar on it. Kai ate 3 today. Now, doesn't that look tasty...?


No comments:

Post a Comment