Friday, October 2, 2009

Trees, Some Minor Hills and Water = Heaven to Me


I snapped this picture of Kai at Turkey Run State Park a few weekends ago. To Kit and I, it captures Kai's joyful movement through the world. He is a bundle of energy. There is rarely a still moment. He sings, dances, tells stories...movement is his life. He does slow down to draw, build amazing Lego structures and listen to a good story. However, movement is his preferred state.




Kit and I have been trying to take the kids out into the woods on a more regular basis. I grew up on a wooded lot (or as we say where I grew up a ravine lot) so trees makes me feel alive, and they even calm my spirit. Kit says he has never seen me as relaxed as when I am surrounded by trees and/or walking amongst them.

Turkey Run was an amazing experience for our family. Literally, we could say to the kids to get them moving...there's going to be something else cool to climb on and explore a few feet ahead of us -- AND THERE WAS! A parent and child's dream come true.



Kai is an amazing climber and there were a lot of rocks and roots to climb, which was a big plus. The trail was natural -- not the paved walkways you see at Starved Rock. However, the trail we hiked was easy enough for almost 2 year old Norah to manage.


Next summer, I hope to be able to take the kids back to Turkey Run to canoe. In the meantime, we will keep visiting it to hike and breathe with the trees, rocks and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment